Thursday, February 7, 2008

Creating the Illusion of It





Cher emerges from retirement and gives a spunky interview. 

I love her honesty about aging--basically, it sucks--while, at the same time, her face has become an immobile mask, in essence, a lie. The quest to be ageless inevitably fails, except perhaps through squinted eyes from a great distance, yet people will continue to try. It surprises me when actors (Cher once acted!) alter themselves to a point where it's no longer possible for them to play human roles, yet I suppose it shouldn't. In our culture, Vanity rules, and we blindly follow. 

4 comments:

K. said...

I just read in a book... Beauty will bring you nothing but the fear of losing it.

I'm kinda in that place... Losing youth and the little beauty I had... Maybe I should make some cosmetic surgeries and become a Cher impersonator...

K. said...

oh, and since my blog is in portuguese, you'll guess its me - Leandro/depassagem ;-)

Baywhale said...

Wrinkle-free, yes… but am I right in thinking she's wearing the fat suit that Monica wears?

Ernest McLeod said...

It looks a bit like she inhaled helium and never exhaled. :-) Not that I don't adore her.