Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Last Night's Dinner ~ Fantastic Fish Pie


Since a disproportionate amount of my life is spent poring over recipes online and in cookbooks, I figure I should share my finds to help allay my guilt over wasting oodles of time figuring out what's for dinner. But, when it comes down to it, what's for dinner is often (pathetically, perhaps) the highlight of my day. Last night's dinner was Fantastic Fish Pie, A Jamie Oliver recipe courtesy of the Food Network. He describes it as "a cracking recipe, a homely hearty thing, tacky but tasty" and recommends serving it with peas or greens, baked beans and ketchup. We skipped the baked beans, but went for the peas and ketchup. If it wasn't pure Irish--for St. Patrick's Day--it was at least a wee bit Irish for those of us inclined to pass on the green beer and corned-beef and cabbage. When he's on TV, Jamie's ebullience wears me out a bit, but I find his recipes dependably simple and satisfying; this is pure winter comfort food.

No comments: